ih-update.co.uk logo
Click here for other games being covered

Challenge Cup Semi-Final Second Leg
1st February 2004
 Referee: S Kirkham 
Sheffield Steelers


Match completeCardiff Devils


0 : 0 : 1 = 1Goals1 : 0 : 0 = 1
8 : 6 : 14 = 28Shots8 : 9 : 7 = 24
2 : 6 : 31 = 39Penalties in Minutes2 : 8 : 31 = 41
Game Report

Challenge Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg
Sheffield Steelers 1-1 Cardiff Devils
Sheffield win 4-2 on aggregate and face Nottingham in the Challenge Cup Final

Cardiff missing Phil Manny and Jason Becker, Steelers missing Steve Duncombe.

Devils put their two goal deficit behind them to push Sheffield all the way, but in the end they ran out of gas.

Matt Myers popped up early on but Bronsard blanked him, Matulik finding his blocker soon afterwards. Both sides killed a penalty relatively comfortably though Sheffield were a shade lucky when Romaniuk broke away, drew the goalie, cycled behind the net but lost an edge and couldn't finish. Within a minute DeWaele's powerful blast from the left point came back off the inside of the far post and Cugnet could thank his stars.

A double save from Cugnet followed, then Devils were ahead following a face-off on the right. Brown passed to Patterson and his shot was deflected home by Maxwell (9:57).

Sheffield created the better chances until the interval but didn't look like beating Cugnet.

Both sides were restricted to shots from distance throughout the second. Brown and Matulik both forced saves from Bronsard. Later Ware went for the puck which Bronsard had just frozen and the keeper objected. Peron and Patterson took double minors in the ensuing scuffle.

With the game finely poised throughout the final period, Sheffield always looked likeliest to score, whilst Devils were always dangerous. In the end LeFebvre raced down the left but the defence picked up the puck. Ellis jumped in, robbed the defender and beat Cugnet from close in and suddenly the home crowd relaxed (50:50).

Sacratini and Romaniuk both forced scrambles, before Romaniuk and Adams exited on 5+game penalties after clashing in the Cardiff zone.

Cugnet was lifted with 52 seconds remaining and Patterson almost bundled the puck home at the left post but Bronsard stood tall.

Attendance : 4028

Reports used with permission
Views expressed are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of ih-update.co.uk
No responsibility accepted for accuracy of information