ih-update.co.uk logo
Click here for other games being covered

Elite League
1st November 2008
 Referee: M Hanson 
Sheffield Steelers


Match completeEdinburgh Capitals


1 : 1 : 3 = 5Goals0 : 1 : 0 = 1
9 : 15 : 9 = 33Shots4 : 10 : 9 = 23
0 : 0 : 4 = 4Penalties in Minutes0 : 4 : 0 = 4
Game Report

Sheffield Steelers 5-1 Edinburgh Capitals

Pasi Raitenen dressed as back-up goalie for the Cpaitals who also added Sheffield Scimitar Ryan Johnson to their line-up.

2924 saw Sheffield skate to a comfortable win in the end wearing their special Hallowe'en shirts, but Capitals looked capable of stealing at least a point until late in the final period. Capitals passed the puck to Jason Hewitt who promptly lashed home (14:24). David Nimmo (35:04) buried his own rebound from a tight angle but his high sticks penalty saw Jonathan Phillips get to the doorstep to convert Ryan Finnerty's left wing pass with 1 second left in the middle session.

Steve Munn set Ashley Tait away up the left and a neat 1-2 with Doug Sheppard saw Tait net behind keeper Michel Robinson (50:34). Rob Dowd's solo break saw his first effort blocked but he perserved to flip the puck home from close in (57:00). Capitals called a timout and lifted Robinson with Brad Cruickshank sitting a high sticks penalty, only for Ryan Finnerty to fire into the empty net (59:37).

Lots of huff and puff along the way but little real quality from either side. Phillips forced a pad save halfway through the first which left the puck lying in the crease but Capitals defence cleared the puck in the nick of time with Sheppard about to pounce. After Hewitt's goal Phillips forced another good save.

Joey Talbot's goal drought continues as he put a great chance wide. Martin Cingel hit the near post from the right wing in the middle session as Capitals killed a high sticks penalty on their goalie but 3 minutes later Nimmo leveled.

The visitors carved out the early chances in the final session. Four minutes into the final period Jeff Hutchins hit the side pipe following a face-off on the left but, after failing to test Lehman as Legue sat a slashing penalty, Tait's goal brought the momentum firmly back to the home side. Phillips forced 2 further saves before Dowd muscled his way up the right and eventually found the net.

When Cruickshank took his penalty with 134 seconds remaining in the game, only Hitchins managed a shot on goal which Lehman comfortably padded aside and it was left to Finnerty to have the last say.

Reports used with permission
Views expressed are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of ih-update.co.uk
No responsibility accepted for accuracy of information